Monday, June 15, 2009

Thumbs down-Ikat fabric


There's a phrase used to describe TV shows that are past their prime known as "jumping the shark". It's a reference to a Happy Days episode where Fonzie jumps over a shark tank on waterskiis wearing his de rigeur leather jacket. Sometimes people take a good idea and push it just a bit too far.

That's how I feel about ikat--it has jumped the shark. I liked it well enough on outdoor furniture. It was fine on a pillow or two. But now I see sofas like the one above in full on ikat and my reaction is not, "oohhh, ikat" but more like, "ewwww, ick."

I know, it's the height of fashion right now. And while it makes sense on this season's ubiquitous maxi dress, I would not recommend investing $2000 in a Bergere chair with fuschia and purple ikat fabric, as seen in this month's House Beautiful. I wouldn't recommend the $200 maxi dress either.

No comments:

Post a Comment