Thursday, April 9, 2009

Floral arranging for dummies


One of the best parts about spring is seeing barren trees and shrubs begin to flower. It's the subtle reminder that yes, it's almost time to put those coats away. Another benefit is the access to easy florals for arranging. So many of the exhibits at the Architectural Digest show featured beautiful arrangements with cherry blossoms, pussy willow, curly willow, forsythia and dogwood. Tall, sculptural arrangments that require very little actual foliage. Just choose a container with tall enough sides to support the weight of the branches and you're set. If it flops to the side, that's fine.

Every morning on my commute to work, I drive past Corona Park in Queens and I have taken to slowing down as I pass the cherry blossom trees. Elegant branches with cheerful pink flowers. One of these mornings I may be forced to pull over and sneak a few to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment